Thursday, June 16, 2016

Homemade Snicker Candy Bars

Today I am going to share a secret with you!  In fact, it is an open secret.  I have a big sweet tooth and my love for chocolates/candies and Icecream is insatiable. The only time this love was under control was during my pregnancy. 

I remember them all. Starting with the naranga muttai (lemon/orange flavored candies), sugar coated gummy drops, parrys caramel candy, lacto king, mango bite, Cadburys ├ęclairs, lollipop, candy coated peanuts and fennel and of course our very own kadala/kappalandi mittai (peanut brittle). Then came kismi toffee bar, Cadburys milk chocolate, candy cigars, kitkat, Munch, Dairy Milk, Snickers, Twix, Bar One, Mars and Perk. I can go on and on. But you got the picture right. In fact my dad who was not an advocate of chocolates used to bribe me with Munch, my favorite then to make up for the fights we used to have.  Once I moved to US Snickers candy bar became my new favorite.


I have always wanted to make these favorites at home. I used to make peanut brittle for my dad as it was the only candy he as crazy about. This time I made time to sit down and browse through my cookbook collections to find a candy recipe. You know what; I came up with this snicker candy bar recipe in an eBook named ‘Awesome Restaurant recipes’. The candy that has nougat topped with caramel and peanuts and enrobed in milk chocolate. That is exactly what I am talking about. The recipe is different from the ones I found online. It calls for corn syrup. I was not able to find this in the stores. So I made it at home using the recipe from here. As to the recipe for the candy bar, I did slight modifications. I used caramel fudge instead of ‘Kraft’ caramels. I used a mix of dark chocolate and milk chocolate instead of milk chocolate chips. For that extra punch, I used crunchy peanut butter. Try this out, you may never think of buying it anymore. 

Light corn syrup-1/4 Cup
Butter- 2 tablespoons
Vanilla extract-1 tablespoon
Crunchy Peanut butter- 2 tablespoons
Salt-a pinch
Powdered sugar-3 Cups

Caramel fudge-35
Dry roasted peanuts-1 Cup

Plain Dark chocolate bar-1 (100 grams)
Plain Milk Chocolate bar- 1 (100 grams)


Combine corn syrup, butter, vanilla extract, peanut butter and salt until creamy (If using a mixer do it at high speed). Slowly add the powdered sugar until all comes together in the form of a dough. Remove and spread this in a greased plate using your hands and refrigerate.  

In the meantime, melt the caramel fudge over low heat until creamy smooth. Mix in the peanuts and pour over the nougat. Cool in the refrigerator until firm. Once firm cut them into 2X1 inch slices and put it back in the refrigerator. 


Break the chocolate bars into pieces, place them in a bowl  and melt it in a double boiler over low heat.

Take out the sliced slices from the refrigerator. Set each slice on a fork, dip it in the chocolate, tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to shake off excess. Place the dipped slices on a wax paper and cool them in the refrigerator until set. Enjoy! 


Tips:
1. Using chewy caramel will give a firmer layer.
2. Milk chocolate will give you the original snicker bar taste.
3. Cooling at room temperature (less than 70° F) will set the bars better.  
    However, it will take several hours. Refrigerator does the job in around 30
    mins.

5 comments:

Suja Manoj said...

Wow looks so yummy, this is Tejas favorite, will surely try this.

Urmila Gopan said...

try cheyyoo....monu ishtapedum

Swathi Iyer said...

adipoli.

Suja Manoj said...

Urmila email id maariyyo?

Urmila Gopan said...

illallo suja

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons