Sunday, March 31, 2013

Red bean dessert

Happy Easter to all my readers!


In one of my previous posts I had talked about my  love for beans. Every time I get a chance, I try to whip up something new. One such attempt led to this wonderful dish. Browsing through the internet I came across a Japanese dessert very similar to this with one difference. Instead of gelatin they use agar-agar as the thickening agent. Today I am sharing with you the recipe I made. It needs a little patience. But believe me the end result will be worth all your effort. Hope you give it a try.



Adzuki beans- ¾ Cup
Salt- ¼ tsp
Sugar-1/2 Cup

Gelatin-2 packets (unflavored)
Sugar- ¾ Cup
Water- ½ Cup
Vanilla essence-1 tsp
Ginger powder-1 tsp (optional)

Pressure cook the beans with salt and enough water. Blend it into a smooth paste. Take paste in a wide thick bottomed pan. Place it on medium flame. Cook it with constant stirring until you get a thick consistency. Now add half cup sugar and continue stirring until it thickens and comes together. Take it off the stove and cool it.





Dissolve the gelatin in one cup of water taken in a pan. Bring it to boil then reduce heat and simmer until gelatin is dissolved with occasional mixing. Add sugar and boil 2 mins. Combine the bean paste prepared earlier and bring it to a boil. Take it off the heat and strain the mixture using a sieve. Using a wooden ladle stir till it cools down and starts thickening. At this stage pour the mixture into a rectangular glass container. Allow it to cool to room temperature for 45 minutes then chill it for another 2 hrs. Cut it into desired shapes and serve cold. Enjoy!


Tips:
1. Paste could be made ahead of time and refrigerated.
2. Using agar-agar-agar instead of gelatin gives you firmer
    jelly. However you have to presoak the agar-agar.
3. You can use any type of beans. I have tried with kidney
    beans and mung beans.

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons