Monday, May 16, 2011

Spicy puffed rice (Masalapori)

It is an easy snack that can be put together in less than 10 mins. I had this for the first time in my school days. I used to wait for Tuesdays when it was served along with tea and bananas at my residential school. My friends would give me their share too as they knew how much I liked it. This still reminds me of those days. The crunchiness of the puffed rice with spicyness makes it a perfect snack for those lazy evenings. So pick up some puffed rice at your nearest Indian/International store and whip up these munchies for tea today.


Puffed rice-3 cups
Garlic-3 cloves, sliced thin
Dry chillies-3 broken
Roasted Channa Dal (pottukadala/dalia)-1 cup
Peanuts-1 cup
Curry leaves-handful (I used 1 tsp curry leaves powder)
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Chilli powder-1 tsp
Salt
Oil-2 tbsp

Heat oil and fry peanuts and Channa Dal. When it starts changing color, stir in broken chillies, curry leaves and garlic. When they are fried, mix the powders and salt. Switch off the stove and combine the puffed rice. Spicy puffed rice is ready to munch upon.


Tips:

1. Fry them under low or medium heat.
2. Adjust the spiciness as per your comfort level.
3. If you like sweetness, you can add a spoon of sugar.

3 comments:

Suja said...

Delicious tea time snack..ethra tinnalum mathiyavilla...love it.

aipi said...

I love it ~ cant have enough! :)
US Masala

dreamer said...

Seems crispy and would make a great combination for cocktails ;)

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons